The Springville Carnegie Library at 175 S. Main St. in Springville, Utah, United States is a Prairie School style Carnegie library building completed in 1922. It is one of the 23 Carnegie Libraries built in Utah. It functioned as the city public library until 1965. The 1922 building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991. It now houses a pioneer relic museum.
The National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the building as building that follows the Carnegie Library standards. The building is generally characterized by Prairie style architecture, most notably seen in the tall, vertical windows arranged in a strong horizontal band on both the main and lower levels. However, the main entry is characterized by its classical influences including the rounded top main door capped by a semi-circular pre-cast concrete hood with decorative scroll brackets on both sides.
The library is rectangular in shape and one-and-one-half stories in height. The exterior consists of textured bricks and is capped by a horizontal band of stucco decorated in ceramic tile mosaics. This stucco also characterized by a brick soldier course at the top and bottom.
Large masonry piers interrupt at all four corners of the building as well as at the main entry. They divide the main facade into three symmetrical parts.
In 1920, women in the area realized the importance of preserving our community’s heritage. They began gathering artifacts, histories, photographs and documents of the area. Those interested in learning about the heritage of the area are invited to visit us at the old Carnegie Library on Main Street in Springville, where you can do personal research, and enjoy hands on activities and games with the family. The Museum is run by volunteers. It is maintained with the Springville-Mapleton Daughters of the Utah Pioneers Company.