the "Provo City Library was founded in 1905. It first opened in the basement of the Provo City courthouse in October of that year and operated until 1908. During its operation in the courthouse, it acquired 1,423 books donated by individuals in the community. Soon after that, the collection doubled to 3000 volumes by April 1908. On December 1, 1908, the library moved into a new building provided by a grant of $17,500 from Andrew Carnegie. Over the years, the library grew in size, by obtaining approximately 65,000 volumes and 125 periodical subscriptions.
"In 1989, the library moved to another location, the City Center Building. Although it was bigger than before, it became inadequate within a couple of years.
"In February 1997, a $16 million library bond passed which allowed the library to move to a bigger location. The bond helped preserve and renovate the historical Brigham Young Academy building. On July 9, 1999, city officials broke ground to initiate renovations for the new library, and then on September 8 2001 the library began full operations."
The Carnegie Library that was built in 1908 was located at the Northwest corner of 100 East and Center Street. This building was enlarged and modernized in 1939, which is why it currently has an art deco type look as compared to its original look. Here is a picture of what the library looked like in 1908: